Header Home About Me Shop Freebies Contact FB IG Pinterest TPT Bloglovin email

Monday, February 24, 2014

Valentine's Flashback!

I never got the chance to post about our classroom Valentine fun, so I'm doing a little flashback post tonight to share some of the activities we did! We participated in Valentine's themed centers all week both in math and reading and the kids were loving every second of it. I used a couple of activities from some fantastic units on TPT from Julie Lee and Growing Kinders - love them! Here's a photo peek at our math stations:


I'm cringing at the fact that I didn't get a picture of the finished product from the bottom right corner - this was the beginnings of the gift they were making for their families. They created a pattern with paper squares to make a frame; then I painted their handprints in the shape of a heart and attached a cute little poem at the bottom. They turn out adorable every year... wish I could share!

For our annual Valentine's Party, we ended up having to make a few changes from our usual plan. Every year we have a pancake party to go with the story If You Give a Pig a Pancake, but this year our district just made a new rule that there could no longer be any cooking in the classroom. So we had to nix that idea and we came up with a donut decorating station instead. The kids loved it and it was so much simpler than finagling cooking pancakes on the griddle!

At our party we have four stations that the students rotate around to. Normally I have set times and switch the groups at the same time, but for this one, since we were more strapped for time, I let the kids rotate to a different table on their own whenever they finished each one. Luckily I have a great group that can be trusted to handle it! The stations we had were:

1. Donut Decorating
2. Valentine's Heart Hat
3. Candy Heart Sort and Graph
4. Valentine's Writing Center - "Who do you love?"


Graph courtesy of Teacher Bits and Bobs


The kids also had decorated their own Valentine containers, which always turn out so adorable and creative every year. I had the kids put their mailboxes on their desks so that it would be easier for the kids to find the mailbox they needed to deliver their cards to. They were so excited! I got spoiled by my sweet little class with the most thoughtful gifts.


Such a fun day... and I love when Valentine's Day falls on a Friday... sugar the kids up and then send them home for the next 2 days!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment